Wild Mage

Wild Magic

Required Abilities: 14 Intelligence.
Prime Requisite: Intelligence.
Secondary Requisite: none.
Hit Die: d4 per level until 10th, +2 HP from 11th level on.
Alignment: Any non-lawful.
Allowed Races: Aluft, Giant, Human, Amurian, Tabaxti, Half-Elf, Elf, any, Halfling, Teffnut, Sun Dwarf.
To-hit Progression (Thac0): As Wizard.
Experience Progression: XPro Chart 6.
Saving Throws: As Wizard.
Religion: Wild mages are commonly not religious, mainly due to the fact that they have been outlawed by the Holy Orders. Some very rare wild mages might follow Cepheus but it is much more common for a religious wild mage to be a follower of a Shamanistic or Cultic religion.
Allowed Cantrip Lists: all.
Allowed Schools: all.
Opposition Schools: none.

Philosophy: The school of Wild Magic was named only for the purpose of defining what is outlawed. According to the Guilds of Thirteen, the philosophy of Wild Magic is “Magic has no restrictions or responsibility.” It is said that wildmages believe, “one’s personal power is more important than the welfare of the world around him.” Wildmages believe the safety of the world’s people is not to be considered. These mages think only of themselves.

As this is a philosophy school in theory only, there is no true philosophy common to them all; nor is there a Wild Magic school list. A wildmage may learn spells from any list without restriction. Thus they are free to have as many powerful spells from whatever schools they please. A wildmage is a PHB Mage.

Characteristics: Wildmages are extremely free willed people but have a need for secrecy in their lives. Because most lack the proper school training of a Guild Wizard, only people with sharp minds and great curiosity may excel at wild magic. They attempt to be unspectacular and easily forgotten, tending to downplay their abilities. If it was known they wield power greater than any other wizard their identities as wildmages would be discovered. They are fascinated by magic in all forms and are single mindedly devoted to their craft, spending their free time on scholarly pursuits. To become a powerful wildmage one must have extraordinary willpower.

Wildmages don’t worry about alignment because they have no grand philosophy. Though the Holy Orders or Guilds of Thirteen say wildmages are inherently evil, they are about equal parts good, evil and neutral. On the other hand wildmages cannot be lawful. The very fact they choose to exist as a members of an outlawed class, makes this implausible.

It is said, wildmages have no friends and live lonely lives never knowing love or compassion. Admittedly it must be hard to have close friends when you have a secret you cannot share. If a wildmage does marry it can only be with someone they feel they can share their secret. This sharing creates a nearly unbreakable bond between the wildmage and his spouse.

Due to their legal status wildmages like to move around. Being in a roving adventuring party is actually a preferable lifestyle. They seldom like to be a leader or lieutenant but make great strategists and advisors. The flexibility of their magical repertoires make them a boon to any party of adventurers. The need for a wildmage to keep his identity secret makes him seem flighty as in civilized settings they tend to disappear when authority figures are about.

Wildmages tend to live in nondescript housing outside of polite society. Fearing common folk will report them if they are found out, they either live like hermits in populated areas or as far from population centers as possible. They never live too comfortably because they never know when they will have to beat a hasty retreat. They take whatever jobs are available but prefer jobs as guides, bodyguards, entertainers, fortune-tellers, farmers, or brewers. Regardless of the job, wildmages maintain a low profile by being unspectacular workers.

Class Abilities: Because of the unique nature of wildmages, they gain the following benefits.

  • Languages: Since old arcane tomes are written in many diverse languages, wizards are forced to learn these languages during the course of their studies. Because of this necessity, while being created wizards may acquire Dead or Ancient Languages for one slot fewer than their listed price. Because many ancient tomes of magic are written in Draconic many apprentice wizards often learn this language.
  • Weapon Proficiency and Specialization: Wildmages begin play with 2 unspent Weapon Proficiencies. They may spend those and any gained while raising in levels to learn any weapon they see fit to. Unfortunately the time needed to research arcane subjects and continually better magical abilities makes it impossible for one to devote enough time to become a Weapon Specialist.
  • Weapon Style Proficiency and Specialization: Wildmages begin play with proficiency with whatever Weapon Style Proficiencies necessary to properly use the weapons he has chosen proficiency in. Weapon Skill Slots garnered while rising in levels may be used to gain proficiency in any other style but they may never specialize in any style.
  • Use of Armor: All wizards are proficient in the use of Cloth Armor. Any non-metal armor (armors comprised mostly of a non-metal material) heavier than cloth restricts the subtle movements they need to make while casting spells (if somatic components are needed these armors confer a 25% chance of spell failure) and so never learn to use them properly. Shields cause similar problems and so they are never taught to use them. A wizard using a shield suffers a 75% chance of spell failure while casting spells with a somatic component. Metal Armors (armors comprised mostly of metal) cause wizards special problems. Beyond the fact that garments of this weight category hamper the casting of any spell with somatic components, metal in this large a quantity degrades the ability to effectively form and channel mage energy. A wizard wearing Metal Armor suffers a 90% chance of failure on any spell he attempts to cast.
  • Cantrip Casting: Cantrips are minor spell effects wizards are taught during their apprenticeship. In one day a wizard may cast a number of Cantrips equal to half of his Intelligence (round down) plus his level. Thus a 5th level wizard with 17 Intelligence may cast 13 Cantrips a day (8 [half Int] +5 [level bonus] = 13 per day). Wild Mages begin play knowing a number of common Cantrips equal to Intelligence. There is no limit to the number of cantrips a Wild Mage may know.
  • Arcane Spell Casting: A wizard is limited to casting a certain number of arcane spells of each level per day in accordance with the wizard spell progression. A wizard may only cast spells he has memorized. When a wizard gains a full 8 hours rest he awakens refreshed. Within an hour of waking he must start a full hour of studying his Spellbook to memorize his spells. To learn or cast any spell, a Wizard must have an Intelligence score of at least 9 + the spell’s level.
  • Intelligence Bonus Spells: Because wildmages are mostly self-taught, they have to rely on their own intelligence much more than other wizards. And because they are not indoctrinated to think like a guild wizard they are able to focus solely on the absorption and manipulation of arcane energy. Due to these factors wildmages gain bonus Spells due to their above average Intelligence scores. They gain one bonus spell per day at each level indicated on Intelligence’s bonus spells stat (bonus spells that are above the wildmage’s present Caster Level are not gained until he can cast that level spell).
  • Saving Throw Penalties: Wildmages suffer none of the saving throw penalties imposed by spells cast by any guild mage. Only penalties imposed by the spells themselves effect wildmages.

Wild Mage

Heroes of Godsrage Molotdet Molotdet